UCalgary Aquatic Centre
The UCalgary Aquatic Centre is a competition pool that can transform into various lengths with a moveable bulkhead. Most often, the pool is set up in 25m format, which creates 16, 25m lanes (eight in the shallow end and eight in the deep end). The pool can also be set up in 50m format, which creates eight 50m lanes.
The shallow end of the pool ranges from 1.0m to 1.5m in depth, and the deep end of the pool ranges from 1.5m to 5.0m deep.
The pool temperature is normally set at 80.6 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit. It is increased to 84 F for Saturday swimming lessons in fall, winter and spring.
The pool is open for public swim during certain scheduled times.
Current UCalgary students can access the pool for free with their Unicard by checking in at Active Living Client Services (KNA 104).
The pool is accessed via the change rooms located across from Client Services. Day-use lockers are available for 25¢, and longterm locker rentals are available from Client Services on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Active Living Client Services (KNA 104) has a selection of swim gear available for purchase:
- Swim suits
- Swim caps
- Modesty swimwear
- Hand paddles
- Infant wetsuits
- Reusable or disposable swim diapers
PFDs and water running belts can be rented at Client Services.
Call for availability.
Call our Client Services desk for answers to all your questions: 403.220.5029
UCalgary Lifeguard Games
May 3, 2020 | Open to teams of lifeguards from across Canada
You've never seen a lifeguarding competition like this before. Put yourself to the test while having more fun than should be allowed.
Aquatic Summer Camps
Earn your lifeguard certification, learn what it takes to be a babysitter, or become a mermaid! There's so much you can do at UCalgary's Aquatic Summer Camps.
General Rules and Regulations
- Patrons are required to wear proper bathing attire.
- Clean t-shirts are permitted.
- Jeans or jean shorts are not permitted.
- Full coverage modesty swimwear is permitted (Ex.Burkini’s).
- Female identifying patrons are not required to wear swim tops.
- Infants or children who are not fully toilet trained must wear a swimming diaper or a plastic diaper cover while in the water.
- One parent/guardian must be present for every 2 children aged 0-7 years.
- Children aged 0-7 years of age must be within arm’s reach of a parent/guardian at all times.
- Only children of the opposite gender under the age of 7 are permitted in the locker room. If assistance is required the lifeguard should be notified.
- Children under the age of 14 are not permitted at Adult Lane Swim but are allowed with an accompanying adult during Family Lane Swim
- Coaching is not permitted
- Personal equipment is expected to be cleaned and in good condition before being brought into the Aquatic Centre.
- Water wings are not permitted
- Infant neck rings are not permitted
Deep End Pool Test
- Lifeguards may require patrons (youth or adult) to perform a swim test before using the deep end.
- Patrons must complete phase 1, in the shallow end, before attempting phase 2 in the deep end.
Phase 1 - 25m Swim
- Option A – Front Crawl
- Option B – Breast Stroke
Phase 2 - Entry and Surface Support
- Jump (feet first entry) into deep water.
- Tread water for 30 seconds.