Tips for visiting Active Living
- Masks must be worn in common areas of UCalgary. Read the mask policy here.
- Change rooms and locker rooms are not available. Exceptions are made for Aquatic Centre programs that may access the change rooms (showers are closed).
- Drop-in opportunities are not available.
- Bring your own water bottle – while you can fill your bottle, water fountains are not available.
- When you register for a program, we will supply you with new safety guidelines. Please review them carefully prior to your visit.
Take a swing at a new thing
Racquet programs at the University of Calgary are the perfect way to try out a new sport and get off on the right foot.
Already know what you're doing? We have programs for the seasoned squash player too.
Introduction to Squash
Never played squash before? If you want to try it out in a small class setting, let our coaches teach you the rules and basics skills in a fun and relaxed environment.
Ladies Only Squash
Come enjoy an evening out, ladies. This fun series of four 75-minute sessions will focus on the rules, learning the basic skills and techniques. Beginner to Intermediate levels welcome.
Next Step For Introduction
If you have been playing Squash regularly for a couple of years or have taken our Introduction lessons then this is the program for you. Continue to develop your game, learn and practice the variety of shot selections
Squash - Intermediate & Advanced
Our certified Level 3 instructors will focus on footwork, drills, technique and strategy. This course is only for Intermediate to Advance players (Level A – Open).
Our Nationally Certified instructors have extensive experience playing and coaching squash.
No matter your level, private lessons are customized to develop participant’s enjoyment of the game by
improving racquet skills, court movement, game strategy and overall fitness
Meet our squash head pro, Colin Whitney
UCalgary Racquet Centre Head Pro since 2016
- Certified Level 3 Squash Coach — England
- Increased UCalgary Racquet Centre Junior & Adult Program to 300+ players
- Head Professional at clubs in Canada, England Ireland, Bermuda
- Irish Junior National Coach 2003-2005
- Coached nationally ranked Junior & Adult Champions
Meet our squash assistant head pro, Peter Trafford
UCalgary Racquet Centre Assistant Pro since 2018
- Certified Level 1 Squash Coach
- Increased UC Racquet Centre Junior & Adult Program to 300+ players
- UCalgary Racquet Centre Summer Camps Head Pro
- Mentorship under Colin Whitney